Saturday, February 14, 2009

Character vs. Career

Recently I've been having trouble with my computer. As a graphic design professional I put alot of strain on my machine by working with large, fairly complex files and often several applications at a time.

So I decided to make some hardware upgrades to beef up the performance of my machine, seeing that buying a whole new computer is out of the question for me right now. They don't actually make it easy on you to do this sort of thing yourself. never the less being the 'sort-of-ambitious' and 'not-too-scared-by-technology' type, I decided to blaze the trail.

Well, needless to say, I encountered plenty of challenges. Then, a few days ago, once I had ordered all the parts I needed, removed the cover of my machine, and began getting into the nitty gritty, God politely interrupted my progress--in the way of trials.

No, we're not talking fierce suffering or fiery persecutions here. Just simple frustration at the lack of support from parts manufacturers or direction from anyone interested in helping a poor 'do-it-your-self-er!' Anger and impatience began to kick in. I began to get frustrated and most of all everything was taking longer than I had so happily pictured. Let me just take this chance to admit for someone who grew up thinking and being told I was a Type B person--I sure seem to exhibit quite a lot of Type A tendencies!

That's when God so kindly intervened. It was about that time that I was forced to set it all aside for a previous engagement with my wife. As we rode in the car together we discussed the events of the day and she empathized with my techno-frustrations, knowing that I had been grappling with these computer problems for days, and in fact months.

Then she said something that I knew was the Lord speaking through her. The exact words I don't recall but the idea was this: "Joel, God cares more about your character through this than the end result of your computer." Bang! A light bulb lit up. Right then I fell under the conviction of the Holy Spirit. I knew she was right and that I had not been practicing patience, or even kindness with the myriads of people I had been dealing with on the phone.

Right then I decided to ask God to renew my perspective and thanked Him for teaching me yet again that the development of my character is way more important than the development of my career or the efficiency of my computer. I asked Him to help me cultivate the character of Christ in how I respond to every minor or major situation in life. And I thanked Him for using my wife to minister to me, and for giving me a woman who He is also doing a work in.

I can't say that my computer is 100% where I'd like it to be yet, but I can say that keeping a Godly attitude about the process has sure helped me enjoy the steps a lot more.

No comments: